Double murder suspect surrenders after barricading himself in Detroit home
A murder suspect who barricaded himself in a house in Detroit on Friday surrendered hours later, police said.
A negotiator convinced the 28-year-old man to leave the house around 9:10 p.m. and he was taken into custody, Cmdr. In it Szilagy said.
“He chose the right option and surrendered,” said the commander.
The man whose authorities have been linked to a double homicide in Tennessee was tracked down to a house on McLean’s 2100 block Friday afternoon, Cpl said. Dan Donakowski, a spokesman for the Detroit Police Department.
The Detroit Fugitive Apprehension team was looking for the 28-year-old, who lives part-time in Tennessee, has an extensive criminal history, and has broken federal parole, Szilagy told reporters.
The suspect went in with a gun around 5 p.m. and refused to come out, Donakowski said.
He was the only person in the house, police said.
A negotiating team tried for hours to reach the man on Friday night and authorities played a recorded message from two relatives but he would not come out, Szilagy said.
“He was in a very restless state,” he said. “We were very afraid for his safety.”
Relatives previously told investigators the man’s mental health was “bad” and was deteriorating, Szilagy said.
The man started talking to negotiators on the phone after authorities rammed the front door of the house, Szilagy said. At that point the commander said, “He knew it was now or never.”
The suspect should be turned over to federal authorities.
Police spent hours warning residents to avoid the neighborhood, which is near Interstate 75 and south of the Davison Freeway, while negotiations continued.