John James donates $100,000 from losing Senate campaign to help Detroit restaurant workers
click to enlarge
Courtesy of the John James Campaign
Although John James lost his bid to represent Michigan as a Republican in the US Senate, he keeps an election promise.
On Monday, John James’ campaign for the Senate announced it would provide $ 100,000 to restaurant workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In May, James vowed to give a nickel to charities for every dollar raised for his campaign.
“Politicians in the 2020 cycle will raise billions of dollars to convince people to care for their communities and none of that nickel will help Michiganders,” James said in a statement at the time. “But I thought, ‘Why wait? Why not start doing good on the first day?'”
Michigan’s Senate race was the most expensive in state history, exceeding $ 150 million spent between the campaigns of James and reigning Democrat Gary Peters.
“In this incredibly tough Christmas season for so many, I feel so blessed to be able to give. However, this gift is only possible through the generosity of many others who enable us to reach out and support our neighbors, ”said James. “This gift is being spread across the state because anyone, regardless of ideological or geographic position, in need of help should receive it during these troubled times. If you are able to order, please tip generously for your execution order. ”
The gift was presented to Xavier Jaramillo, chairman of the Detroit Restaurant and Lodging Association, and Scott Lowell, co-founder and former chairman of DRLA and owner of Detroit’s Traffic Jam & Snug.
“This crisis has hit us all, and the restaurant industry in particular, hard,” said Lowell. “At this time of year it is most important to support restaurant employees who are particularly affected so that they can feed themselves and their families during the holidays. The Restaurant Workers Fund is helping, and we are grateful that we can support this fund through the Nickel Pledge. ”
On Monday, Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced a 12-day extension of a three-week indoor dining ban due to high COVID-19 cases. The state’s bar and restaurant association tried to sue to lift the original ban, arguing that it had been hit particularly hard by the economic strain caused by the pandemic and could safely remain open. A judge denied the case last week.
So many restaurants, so little time. Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, sent out every Friday morning, for the latest news from Detroit.