Mudgie’s Deli, Great Lakes Coffee to have shops inside new Meijer Rivertown Market in Detroit
DETROIT (WXYZ) – Meijer’s new Rivertown Market, coming to Detroit later this year, will be run by a local Detroit resident. The grocer announced Monday that Marcus Reliford will lead the market, which is located in Detroit’s East Jefferson Corridor.
The market will also have a second location for the popular Detroit restaurant Mudgie’s Deli and a Great Lakes Coffee Coffee Shop.
Reliford, who joined Meijer in September 2020, has 15 years of experience in Georgia and Michigan.
“I grew up on the west side of Detroit as a kid and recently came back to give back and contribute to my community and city,” Reliford said in a press release. “This is our first downtown Detroit store. There is no one who wanted this job more than me. It feels good to be at home. “
The 42,000-square-foot market along Jefferson Ave., about a mile east of downtown Detroit, has fresh groceries, artisanal foods, and local produce on the shelves. More than 1,000 companies from the region have submitted to have their products on the shelves of the new store.
It will also contain:
- A variety of local artisanal products including Pietrzyk Pierogi, Ma Cohens and Cyntsational Popcorn.
- Flower shop with local Avanti greeting cards
- Extensive 4,700 square foot product department with a 52 foot wet wall
- Fresh and prepared foods including baked goods, fresh meat and delicatessen products
- An extensive range of liquors with a 24-foot wide and 14-foot high liquor wall with a rolling ladder
- Basic cleaning, health and beauty products from local businesses owned by Black women
- 23-foot ceilings with open-air elements and a pedestrian-friendly design with three garage doors with fresh outdoor produce and a flower area
The store is expected to open this year.