Tragedy at Detroit Block Party: 17-Year-Old Fatally Shot

Detroit, MI – In a tragic turn of events, 17-year-old Taylor Gladney was fatally shot during a block party in Detroit on May 18.

The young teen, described by her family as “full of life,” succumbed to her injuries on May 22 after being on life support for several days.

Taylor had arrived at the bustling block party on Manning Street, near Gratiot Avenue, less than an hour before the shots rang out.

According to her family, the event was attended by several local high schools, drawing a large crowd of young people.

Twyla Moss, Taylor’s aunt, expressed the family’s grief and shock. “Oh my god, Taylor was just full of life. She never was angry with anybody. She was just Taylor,” Moss said.

The sequence of events leading to the shooting remains unclear. Detroit police are treating the case as an active and ongoing investigation, seeking any information that could lead to an arrest.

Taylor’s family is urging anyone who might have witnessed the incident to come forward, hoping for closure amidst their overwhelming loss.

Taylor’s mother, Lacretia McCullough, recounted the harrowing moment she learned of her daughter’s injury.

“I get a call at 7:52 (p.m.) that my baby had been shot,” McCullough shared. She had just switched cars with Taylor before heading to work, unaware of the tragedy that was about to unfold.

“So she wasn’t even at this party long to really even get a chance to enjoy herself,” McCullough lamented.

Reflecting on the decision to let her daughter attend the party, McCullough expressed a mix of regret and acceptance. “I’m kind of mad at everybody.

I’m upset because when I knew where the party was, I wanted to say no, but I didn’t – so sometimes I get angry at myself for allowing her to go, but you can’t keep your kids in the house,” she said.

“I allow her to go and something like this happens… she was trying to get out of there and ended up not being one of the lucky ones to have a minor injury.”

Taylor’s father, Tyrell Gladney, echoed the family’s pain and frustration. “The guys that did this, ain’t nothing I can say. I pray that someone catches them before I do,” he said.

“I know it’s nothing we’re supposed to say but that’s how I feel – angry, upset, hurt.”

In the days following the shooting, Taylor was placed on life support. Her family ultimately made the heart-wrenching decision to let her go, taking solace in the positive impact she had on those around her.

According to the source, Taylor, who had a passion for cheerleading and loved getting her hair done, was remembered for her vibrant personality.

“She signified a lot of things about her through her appearance,” Moss said. “She always had her hair colored, so she was always just bright and full of life.”

The community’s response to Taylor’s death was a testament to her influence. Scores of friends and family members gathered for a vigil and balloon release in her honor.

Over 800 people attended her funeral, a poignant celebration of her short but impactful life.

In the wake of this senseless violence, Taylor’s family has organized a memorial fundraiser to help cover her medical bills and funeral expenses.

The event will take place on Wednesday, June 26, from 12-8 p.m., at Launch Family Entertainment in Dearborn. A portion of the revenue from the event will be dedicated to Taylor’s cause.

As the investigation continues, Taylor’s family remains hopeful that justice will be served. They are calling on the community to come forward with any information that could help identify the shooter.

For now, they cling to the memories of a young girl who brought light and joy to those around her.

Read more news:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.